09 March 2008

борщ

This evening I was treated to a very fancy and fun supper at The Russia House in Herndon, VA. Two great friends chose this restaurant since they know I'm studying Russian. Not only did they chose a great restaurant, but they chauffeured me to and from my hotel and paid for the whole supper. I didn't realize that I was being treated to a birthday meal, so I ordered up lots of stuff from the menu and really ran up the tab! What great friends!

The restaurant itself was warm and friendly. I liked the heavy, red draperies and interesting art. Overall the restaurant owners impressed me because they were very attentive to my vegan nutritional constraints.

I loved The Russia House's borscht. I can't believe I waited so long to try this popular Russian dish. I have had some bad experiences with beets in the past, so I was never terribly keen on trying borscht. However, I had a fantastic beet dish while in Geneva recently, so I decided to give beets a second chance and I am glad I did. For me the borscht was served without sour cream and I loved the flavor of the fresh beets and vegetables. I will definitely chose to order борщ again at my future Russian meals.

Sorry, I should have taken some photos for you, but I forgot.

tag(s):

1 comment:

My Russian Journal said...

Hi,
My name is Joe and I have been learning Russian for about 8 months. I am always looking on the web for language or information web sites for learning the Russian language. I have also found quite a bit of Russian music and singers that I really like on YouTube. I use Rosetta Stone (online version) as well as a number of other online learning sites that I have found. You have done a very nice job with your Blog. I have also put together an online Journal (blog) that is mostly links to some of the best Russian language, information, music and singers on YouTube. You can check it out at http://journals.aol.com/russian4567/my-russian-journal/ I have also started a new Russian blog on this same site you are using http://myrussianjournal.blogspot.com/